I am constantly looking around and comparing myself to others. It feels like everybody was given a handbook to life and I’m just trying to keep everything from falling apart. I use control to give me stability (yeah, that works really well). But as I head into 2015, i.e., #theyeariturn40, I am realizing some truths that have brought me peace. I will use these truths to make 2015 great. I hope yours will be too:
- If somebody burns you more than once and/or makes you feel bad about yourself; it is okay to keep them at a distance or even remove them from your life. This goes for anybody: friends, family, acquaintances. Which leads me to number 2….
- That old saying about how people can’t make you feel bad about yourself, we do that for ourselves? It’s total CRAP. I was told recently that I am clinically insane by a family member and that HURT. I am still telling myself that comment was not about me, it was about that person. But the pain is still there and I suspect it will be for a while.
- If you eat bad, you will feel bad. Yes, I love pizza, cookies, and don’t get me started on cheese. But the sluggish feeling that comes after eating those things lingers longer than it used to. I have talked about this before but I have to constantly remind myself because I still get cravings for chips, cheese, and guacamole at 10 o’clock at night. Same goes for exercise. If you don’t do it, your body will punish you. I am in pain at least once a week from pushing my body. But it’s a good pain.
- My beliefs and parenting techniques are mine and mine alone. I am on a daily quest to be a better person and parent. And even though it feels 98% of the time that I am taking a path that differs from those around me, I am going to trust my instincts.
- Going after your dream(s) is terrifying. The fear of failure is always trying to knock you down. There will always be something else to do. But if it makes you happy, that is EVERYTHING
I wrote this down almost two years ago and it still holds up. Sometimes I forget it is there but other times it is exactly what I need to keep moving forward.
I will leave you with one of my favorite Dixie Chicks’ songs. I tear up every time because it speaks to me. And if you haven’t heard of Jools Holland, I highly recommend checking it out on the Palladia channel. It is one of my new favorite shows.
Happy New Year!!